System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) is Microsoft’s infrastructure monitoring platform.
CloudMonix integrates with SCOM by installing its own monitoring pack, and pushing object states, and various metrics and events that it gathers from any or all of its Azure, AWS and other resources, to a SCOM service. Push of captured monitored data occurs every minute, as CloudMonix gathers it. Pushed data can then be viewed on State, Performance, Event views in SCOM.
Provided that the user has procured proper SCOM credentials and enabled necessary firewall access from CloudMonix to SCOM, the integration process should take approximately 5 minutes.
CloudMonix integrations are available only during the Trial period, or in Professional and Ultimate Plans.
General steps to integrate CloudMonix with SCOM
- Open port 5724 on your SCOM service machine to CloudMonix’s static IPs
- Obtain SCOM user credentials to use with CloudMonix that will allow installation of the CloudMonix management pack and push of metrics data into SCOM
- Enter SCOM server name and user credentials on CloudMonix Integration screen
- Specify the default Monitoring Integration on CloudMonix’s Account Information screen's dropdown
Detailed steps to integrate CloudMonix with SCOM
- Open port 5724 for inbound connections on your SCOM server. For security measures, white-list CloudMonix’s Static IPs according to this document: http://support.cloudmonix.com/support/solutions/articles/5000598221
- Procure SCOM user credentials that will have enough privileges to install Monitoring Packs on SCOM and push data into it via SCOM API
- In CloudMonix open the SCOM integration dialog (Account Settings > Integrations > System Center Operation Manager). Add previously procured SCOM Credentials (click the + button). Enter the username with domain (in format DOMAIN\UserName) and password. Then provide Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of your SCOM Server.
Click the “Test Connectivity and Import Management Pack into specified SCOM server”. At this moment CloudMonix will be check connection to your SCOM server. If connection is successful, CloudMonix’s Management pack will be imported into your SCOM sever. Management Pack’s name is “CloudMonix.ResourceMonitoring”. You can find the imported pack on Administration > Imported Packages screen on your System Center Console.
- Specify the overall integration in the Account Information screen (Account Settings > Account Information). This will enable all the resources in your environment to send data to SCOM during monitoring
- If only certain resources need to be pushed to SCOM, specify “None” on the Account Information’s Default Monitoring integration screen and customize specific resources that should be sending information to SCOM on the individual resource dialog screens (Advanced tab). See this article for more details.
- After a few minutes of monitoring, verify that the Resource Status and other metrics are visible in SCOM as described below. Any problems will be reported in the Monitoring Log (Dashboards > Performance Dashboard > Resource > Monitoring Log).
Information sent by CloudMonix to SCOM
The following information is sent by CloudMonix to SCOM during each monitoring cycle
- Numeric metrics (that are displayed on graphs). These metrics can be viewed on SCOM Performance View
- Resource Statuses (Ready/Down/etc). These metrics can be viewed on SCOM State View
- Any single-value non-numeric metrics (such as individual strings, dates, etc). Example: HTTP response from a URL, or a running status of a specific Windows service. These metrics will be visible on Event View in SCOM
- Log information (ie: Windows Event Logs, Linux Syslogs, Azure Operations logs, etc). These metrics will be visible on Event View in SCOM